(that is dramatic, here we talk only time and crochet …)
Now the little girl received her gift, I can show the crochet blanket I made for Laura and I am quite proud.
The first step, by far the longest, was to make 48 squares of 10 cm side, to form the body of the cover. I had originally planned to make 25 squares, but coverage was ridiculously small. Even for a baby, there should be a comfortable size to possibly warmly wrapped the toddler in it.
The equipment: my #2 crochet and pearl cotton.
The patterns: I picked them on the internet and stayed in fairly conventional models, trying to play with colors. One of them that I really love is very simple, but one of the longest, because it requires changing over almost every rank. To avoid long sessions of wire-concealment, I have “hooked” / “hidden” the wire directly by the next row. Honestly, it allowed me to save a lot of time.
For the size of the square, I used a single square as a reference for all others. The different cottons used have not all the same quality I was able to fit the exact size of each square, without remaining prisoner of “no, no, no, a square has to have 8 rows and that’s it.”
The colors: I think the current fashion is in the colors beige, pastels, soft and delicate, and… I did exactly the opposite. I chose bright colors, I associated the complementary colors for the hedge to be shimmering. We may not like it, obviously, but for a little baby, I think that stimulation by the look could be interesting.
Timing: I am perhaps not very good, but it took an average of one hour per square (ready to “sew”).
So here I am with my 48 square:
During the production, he still had to pay attention to have enough of patterns and color. In the final assembly, I wished that no patterns or similar colors were together. I think to have come with a good result.
So I assembled my squares with white cotton. I regretted not having paid attention to the quality of some wire, whose colors have disgorged while washing (cold water and by hand, though). This remains discreet, but I know it…
After “stitched” the squares and made a border, here’s a pretty good blanket (even if my picture is slightly yellow).
For fun, here are some details.